edited by Lavinia Spaldingby Lavinia Spalding google+
I'm so happy to announce that the newest volume of the anthology I edit, The Best Women's Travel Writing, is available now! You can find it at all the usual places--including directly from the publishers, Travelers' Tale (at the link below), and also from your favorite local independent bookstore! Here are some details...
“In story after story,” wrote Andrew McCarthy for The New York Times (about Volume 11), “the refreshing absence of bluster and bravado, coupled with the optimism necessary for bold travel, create a unifying narrative that testifies to the personal value and cultural import of leaving the perceived safety of home and setting out into the wider world.”
The essays in Volume 12 are equally refreshing and bold, exploring diverse themes and locations. The 34 contributors—who include Susan Orlean, Peggy Orenstein, Faith Adiele, Sally Kohn, Ann Leary, Rahawa Haile, Mathangi Subramanian, and Alison Singh Gee—tell of places like Azerbaijan, Bhutan, Colombia, Finland, Greece, Indonesia, Japan, Mexico, Nepal, Peru, Spain, and Tanzania, with stories compelling and complicated, adventurous and quiet, somber and hilarious, heartbreaking and heartwarming.
The Best Women’s Travel Writing, Volume 12, edited by Lavinia Spalding and illustrated by Colette Hannahan, celebrates the transformative truths that emerge when we cross borders, embrace the unfamiliar, create connections, and learn more about ourselves.
In this anthology, you’ll …
• Learn to survive in the polar regions of Canada
• Witness an amateur autopsy in Ireland
• Get chloroformed, robbed, read to, and propositioned in Italy
• Ride a donkey named Shakira on the dusty trails of PetraExplain American reality TV to a bewildered bunch in Bolivia
• Fear for your life on a stormy Adriatic Sea
• Settle a thirteen-year debt in Cuba
• Track one of the world’s most elusive animals in India
• Travel the world on stolen plane tickets
…and much more!
Publisher: Travelers’ Tales
Publication Date: November 24, 2020