Edited by Lavinia Spalding
Available for pre-order now!
“Tell me,” poet Mary Oliver once wrote, “what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?” Oliver’s quote opens the The Best Women’s Travel Writing, Volume 10: True Stories from Around the World. And to answer the question, thirty celebrated and emerging writers invite you to ride shotgun as they travel the globe to discover new places, people, and facets of themselves. The essays are as diverse as the destinations, the common thread being fresh, compelling storytelling that will make you laugh, weep, wish you were there, or thank your lucky stars you weren’t. The Best Women’s Travel Writing speaks to the reasons why we travel—and how travel changes our lives.
In The Best Women’s Travel Writing, Volume 10: True Stories from Around the World, you’ll:
· Study the ancient art of belly dancing in Egypt
· Go day-drinking with a sea captain in Croatia
· Scuba dive through an underground cave in Mexico
· Run from massive exploding balloons in Burma
· Embed with the military in Afghanistan
· Experience a different kind of time in Argentina
· Go dogsledding in Finland
· Confront heartache, pain, and a deadly creature in Indonesia
· Negotiate with smugglers in Mongolia
· Marry a stranger at Burning Man
... and much, much more.
Do not ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, then go and do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.” –Howard Thurman